Download gli Atti del Convegno!
Quest’anno la conferenza annuale 2018 dell’Associazione D&S ha per tema le molestie in università e ricerca. La conferenza è co-organizzata con EPWS, European Platform of Women Scientists, e ha respiro internazionale.
Gender-based violence is widespread in every place, every culture, every geographical area and every social class. The scientific and academic fields are not exempt from this phenomenon, and indeed, violence, marginalization, discrimination and other forms of abuses against women are as frequent as elsewhere. A particular aspect of this violence is sexual harassment , which includes attitudes put in place in individual terms, suffered specifically by individuals and operated by individuals or groups. These may be physical, moral or social, although in the vast majority of cases these are attitudes, words or actions done predominantly by single men on single women (single in the sense, unfortunately, of one at a time), and who are individually endured.
It is necessary to take steps forward that lead to quantification, awareness and to the activation of a mechanism, especially social, which will finally bring to a solution. It is a long journey, but in this historical moment, it is not only possible, but a duty and almost ‘easy’ to start, following the example of many other women in several fields.
What do we know about harassment in other European countries? Most of the episodes reported in scientific journals refer to the USA. Do we want to believe that the situation is better in Europe? Or maybe in the old continent it is still preferable to keep the problem under wraps?
‘Prevention is better than cure’, this is why we need to know the terms of question we are facing to put in place the right tools for prevention. Having a clear picture is also necessary to be able to say tomorrow that prevention has worked. But until prevention is sufficiently effective, we need to find ways to address the problem.
Download the FINAL PROGRAM
click on names for links to the videos, and on titles for the presentation slides
GREETINGS AND INTRODUCTION
- NICOLETTA DE FRANCESCO (Università di Pisa)
- SVEVA AVVEDUTO (CNR, Donne e Scienza) – A multi-faced problem a multi step path to combat sexual harassment
Session 1 – WHAT DO WE KNOW IN ITALY EUROPE AND ABROAD
Chair: Lucia Martinelli (MUSE)
- CLAUDINE HERMANN (EPWS) – Sexual harassment in universities and in research: can Europe help?
- COLETTE GUILLOPÉ (Université Paris-Créteil) – Achievements and Prospects of the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in Higher Education and Research in France
- Ilaria di Tullio (CNR Irpps) – Women researchers and sexual harassment: It is not a labour of love!
- Heike Pantelmann (Freie Universität Berlin), Inga Nuethen (Philipps-Universität Marburg), Nina Lawrenz (Freie Universität Berlin) – Sexual Harassment in International Higher Education Contexts
- Francesca Torelli (Università di Verona, Brescia, Venezia e Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna di Pisa Councilor) – Sexual Harassment in Higher Education Institutions and Research Performing Organization
- General discussion
Session 2 – HOW TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM: SOLUTIONS
Chair: Giuliana Rubbia (INGV)
- ANN OLIVARIUS (McAllister Olivarius, London) – Sexual Harassment_ #TimesUp!
- DONATELLA DELLA PORTA (Scuola Normale Superiore) – Violence against women: women’s movements as alternative makers
- Chiara de Fabritiis (Università Politecnica delle Marche) – Sexual Harassment in Academic World: Lack of Awareness and Deficiency in Data Collection
- Fernie Maas (LNVH Dutch Network of Women Professors) – Challenging poor behaviour in academia: how to tackle and prevent intimidation and abuse of power – a Dutch women professors’ network approach
- General discussion
Donne e Scienza General Assembly – Teatro Rossi Aperto, Via Collegio Ricci 1
Session 3 – HOW TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM: PREVENTION
Chair: Silvana Badaloni (Università di Padova)
- SILVANA BADALONI E LORENZA PERINI (Università di Padova) – Prevention (should be) better than cure
- Marion Woelki (Universität Konstanz) – Positions and Measures against Sexual Harassment at German Universities – The example of the University of Konstanz
- Laura Chlebos (Ruhr-Universität Bochum) – Our Campus: A preventive campaign against sexual harassment and violence at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Agata Sangianantoni, Valeria De Paola, Ingrid Hunstad (Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia) – The Confidential Counselor in a Research Institution: A bridge towards the prevention of harassment
- Marilù Chiofalo (Università di Pisa) – Canadian Documentary “Ms. Scientist”
Chair: Monica Zoppè (CNR)
CALL FOR PAPERS CLOSED!
We encourage submissions that address the theme of the conference. In particular:
- prevalence and distribution of sexual harassment;
- legal frameworks;
- positive actions against all kinds of harassment at workplace;
- ombudsperson activities and experiences;
- recommendations and training to prevent and respond to harassment and sexism in the lab;
- other topics related to the conference theme.
After the Conference, authors might be invited to submit a paper to be published in a dedicated monograph.
REGISTRATION AND FEES
Registration for members of D&S and EPWS is free of charge within 10 September 2018.
Registration for non members: 30 € within 10 September 2018
After 10 September 2018 all participants will be charged 50 €
Sveva Avveduto – IRPPS CNR; Donne & Scienza
Silvana Badaloni – Ingegneria Univ. di Padova; Donne & Scienza
Claudine Hermann – EPWS
Lucia Martinelli – MUSE; Donne & Scienza
Giuliana Rubbia – INGV; Donne & Scienza
Monica Zoppè – IFC CNR; Donne & Scienza
TRAVEL INFO AND VENUE
The Conference will take place in the Cittadella Galileiana, Vecchi Macelli Sala convegni A1, Via Nicola Pisano 27 – Pisa. The place can be reached on foot in about 20 minutes from the Central station. Alternatively, the LAM ROSSA bus has a stop in via Rustichello, few steps form the Conference venue.
TRAVEL AND OTHER INFO
PARTNER & SPONSOR
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche. Italy
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa. Italy
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique. France
MUSE, Museo delle Scienze, Trento, Italy
INGV, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Italy
Università di Pisa